Friday, January 16, 2009

LevelOne WNC-0301

bought a new wireless card, which should work using NDISwrapper [click*]... but for some reason it just doesn't agree with my Ubuntu 8.04 installation.

doing a dmesg | grep ndis I found the following:

[ 45.753384] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
[ 46.323490] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:150): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
[ 46.323495] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:210): couldn't prepare driver 'net8185'
[ 46.323823] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:112): couldn't load driver net8185; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
[ 46.337517] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

seems I have to find me some 64-bit drivers!

* this is a rather detailed guide, short version in Ubuntu (8.04):

  1. sudo apt-get install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common ndiswapper-utils-1.9

  2. get drivers for wireless card (you'll be needing the .inf and .sys files)

  3. sudo ndisgtk and point it to the location of the dirvers

2 comments:

  1. Hi!I am also looking for some info on NDISwrapper.I've not yet installed it(am trying to collect as much info as possible so that I don't mess up later.)

    In the process,I stumbled upon the following video http://linuxtutorialvideos.blogspot.com/2009/01/ndiswrapper.htmlwhich shows the installation of NDISwrapper and also some basic troubleshooting.

    Don't know if it'll be useful to you,but decided to share it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man :)

    my problem is that the drivers themselves are 32-bit, while the I'm using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu... so I guess I'll be doing a fresh install of the 32-bit version sometime in the near future.

    great site by the way :)
    adding it to the links section!

    ReplyDelete